Manitowoc to Algiers 

After REDFIN was commissioned on August 31, 1943 and after many test runs, test dives and a visit to Great Lakes Training Center on September 20th, she was ready to start the voyage to New Orleans, LOUISIANA.  REDFIN departed Manitowoc on September 26th and proceeded under her own power down Lake Michigan to Chicago, ILLINOIS.  Once there, most of the crew was detached on 9 days leave to meet REDFIN in New Orleans. 

Two tugboats towed REDFIN through the Control Lock, down the Chicago River, through the Chicago Sanitary Canal to the dry-dock in Chicago, a distance of 35 miles. This was done so there wouldn’t be a chance to draw anything through the water intake system. After mooring in Chicago, the periscopes and shears, radar masts and antennas were removed and laid out on deck. This was done to enable them to pass under the many bridges on the way.  REDFIN was then put into a floating dry-dock.   The tug, LAFAYETTE was then secured to the stern of the dry-dock with wire rope and turnbuckles.  

Because of the currents encountered in the inland rivers the towing is done by the tug pushing the tow rather then pulling.  The tow can be controlled better in this manner. 

On September 27th they proceeded on their 1500-mile voyage to New Orleans through Lockport Lock. Reaching the Illinois River on the 28th and then the Mississippi River at Grafton, Illinois at 1900 hours on September 29th.  After passing through the Alton Lock, the 8th lock since leaving Lake Michigan, the Chain of Rocks Channel was navigated and then going was a little better because of the width of the river.  On October 05, 1943 they reach New Orleans and was taken out of the dry-dock. The periscopes, shears and antennas were replaced and the detached crew reported on board from leave. 

REDFIN moved across the river to Algiers, LOUISANIA to the Algiers Naval Station, where they received fuel, torpedoes, ammunition and the fresh and dry provisions. 

On October 09, 1943 REDFIN was got underway for PANAMA CANAL ZONE.